Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Please Notice When You're Happy

What I don't know about Kurt Vonnegut could fill a reservoir. I wasn't even going to read this article, but, as I balanced a salty lukewarm bowl of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup in one hand, I read this and I was so delighted and impressed. The only thing of Vonnegut's I know is his play "God Bless You Mr. Rosewater," which I saw at Arena Stage many moons ago. It is a blot on my internal literary canon, to be sure, that I have not read more of his stuff.

Beyond art, he says, he lives for what he calls "mini-epiphanies -- very nice events that last maybe 10 minutes."
Love it! And what a coincedence, that is what I live for as well. Mini-epiphanies. After all, that's all there is.

"Please notice when you're happy," Vonnegut has been advising audiences for years. It's a cheery notion that carries an unstated implication: Unhappiness will recapture your attention soon enough.


Unhappiness has my FULL attention right now, but I am going to be really ATTUNED to noticing when I am happy.

Today has been brought to me by Franz Kafka and Eugene Ionesco's love child. Oh yes! That must mean we had Computer Guy Roulette! The bureaucratic return of Mr. Nibby Nose! Who is very lucky that I was "raised well" because instead of saying, as I WANTED TO, "You're such an ASSHOLE," I merely said, "You are very EXASPERATING."

Oh, he of the cocked head, the obsequious questions, the gratuitous humor reserved for the pretty girl I have helping me. "Don't break this computer too, OK? Heh, heh," he says. That's computer nerd foreplay for ya.

Yeah, get lost Nibs.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Anyway, Kurt Vonnegut has always been a misanthrope too. Hooray! When I crawl out of this vice, I will read him forthwith.

|

Cynicism is another word for reality

Email me, you derelict wastrel

Image hosting by Photobucket

  • The Fugue
  • Tina Brown Slut Redux
  • Today Haiku
  • Rainmakers and Therapy Scarves
  • "The Days of Awe" by Hugh Nissenson
  • A Heartwarming Moment of Staggering Cuteness
  • O Happy Refuge!
  • Lay Lady Lay
  • Unhappy Sunday
  • Happy Saturday



  • Gargoyle Magazine
  • Paycock Press "Enhanced Gravity: More Fiction by Washington Area Women"(JUNE 2006!!!!)
  • Chattahoochee Review Winter 2002
  • Main Street Rag, Volume 7, Number 4, Winter 2003
  • Pangolin Papers Spring 2001


  • Gargoyle Magazine
  • Gorgeous Cape Cod Paintings
  • Mimi Smartypants
  • The New Yorker
  • ninjapoodles
  • Rabbit Blog
  • Reader of Depressing Books
  • Sexy Brussels Lady
  • Suburban Bliss
  • Thumbless Wonder
  • The Washington Post
  • I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Wino
  • Weaker Vessel
  • Gingajoy
  • MOM101
  • Suburban Turmoil
  • The Wit Memo
  • - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+




    Designed by Troll Baby Graphics