Friday, September 30, 2005

"The Days of Awe" by Hugh Nissenson

I read lots of reviews--books, plays, movies, art exhibits etc.--because it has become my vicarious way of absorbing culture for my culture-starved mind. I used to read the reviews and then follow through and partake of the offering. My life is a little "spirited" right now, tho, so sometimes I have to survive on the freeze-dried nutrients of the review alone.

But when I read this pup this morning, I added the book to my Amazon list forthwith. THEN I read this snippet with the author (he's 72!!) and I loved it. Especially the part where he says he writes "half stoned" so as to curb his chronic depression. A man after my own heart...(even tho I only write sober as a judge). Drunk sex=fun; (my) drunk writing=ludicrous.


Disclaimer: I tend to shy away from tragedy-specific genres like "AIDS plays," "Holocaust books," and I have careened away from anything to do with ANYONE'S reflections on 9/11, just because I am not ready yet. Reading about this book made me want to come out of hiding, tho.

|

Cynicism is another word for reality

Email me, you derelict wastrel

Image hosting by Photobucket

  • A Heartwarming Moment of Staggering Cuteness
  • O Happy Refuge!
  • Lay Lady Lay
  • Unhappy Sunday
  • Happy Saturday
  • Let's Learn About Friday Morning
  • Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others
  • Just Read It
  • Lunch With Zelda
  • Life Ballet



  • Gargoyle Magazine
  • Paycock Press "Enhanced Gravity: More Fiction by Washington Area Women"(JUNE 2006!!!!)
  • Chattahoochee Review Winter 2002
  • Main Street Rag, Volume 7, Number 4, Winter 2003
  • Pangolin Papers Spring 2001


  • Gargoyle Magazine
  • Gorgeous Cape Cod Paintings
  • Mimi Smartypants
  • The New Yorker
  • ninjapoodles
  • Rabbit Blog
  • Reader of Depressing Books
  • Sexy Brussels Lady
  • Suburban Bliss
  • Thumbless Wonder
  • The Washington Post
  • I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Wino
  • Weaker Vessel
  • Gingajoy
  • MOM101
  • Suburban Turmoil
  • The Wit Memo
  • - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+




    Designed by Troll Baby Graphics